2011 Award Recipients
Field of Dreams Farm (Henrico)
- This one-man show promotes a sustainable way of growing food in home gardens and also teaches students in 9 Virginia schools how to farm and prepare their own "Victory Gardens" in order to have a much better chance at healthy living.
- The gateway to Southwest Virginia craft, music, food and local culture, Heartwood has played a key role in creating a sustainable economy in Southwest Virginia. They feature crafts by local artisans, juried to be the best of the best, and the most complete collection of Crooked Road old time, blue grass and gospel music.
J. Thaler McCormick, For Kids, Inc (Norfolk)
- J. Thaler McCormick, CEO of For Kids, Inc., has led the fight against family homelessness in Virginia and Hampton Roads since 1996. Under her leadership the organization has become Virginia's largest service provider for homeless families.
Society of St. Andrew, End Hunger (Big Island)
- This organization provides healthy, nutritious produce to Virginia's hungry. Their Potato and Produce Program and Gleaning Network salvage nutritious food, redirecting it to food banks, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, senior feeding centers, hospice homes and many other essential feeding programs.
Virginia Horses for Heroes (Falls Church)
- Horses for Heroes provides equine therapy to wounded military and veterans through various therapeutic riding programs throughout the Commonwealth.
First Lady’s Opportunity Seal of Approval Award Recipients
Angel Bus/AirCompassion (Virginia Beach)
Beyond Boobs (Williamsburg)
Blue Ridge Marathon (Roanoke)
Castleton Festival (Washington)
Hospital Hospitality House (Richmond)
Hot Meals and Homework (Norfolk)
Development of an International Market for Virginia Wine (Reston)
Jill's House (Vienna)
Learn Today Lead Tomorrow (Wytheville)
Let’s Give Back (Reston)
MyNeighbors Network (Great Falls)
Navy SEAL Foundation (Virginia Beach)
Parade Rest (Charlottesville)
Quality of Life Plus (McLean)
Ramps Across America (Newport News)
Southside Playground Olympics (Richmond)
Troop Treats (McLean)
Virginia Wounded Warrior Program North (Leesburg)
HEAL Appalachia (Bristol)
To view pictures from the event, click here
For more information about FLITE, click here