On-line Application for the FLITE Foundation "Commonwealth of Opportunity" Recognition Program
Overview of FLITE
Governor McDonnell, in his Inaugural Address, called on Virginians to pursue the vision of “A Commonwealth of Opportunity” by seeking opportunities to get involved in the life of our Commonwealth. The FLITE Foundation’s Commonwealth of Opportunity Recognition Program recognizes programs, activities, organizations, or individuals who embody the ideal of “getting involved and giving back.” Its purpose is to bring attention to the great work being done by selfless people around the Commonwealth who are taking the opportunity to leave the Commonwealth a better place than they found it.
The FLITE Foundation’s Opportunity Recognition Program seeks to –
- Recognize and celebrate Virginians who are creating a Commonwealth of Opportunity.
- Establish a publicly accessible bulletin board of community leaders, activists, groups, and individuals involved with successful programs in the four key areas identified.
- Showcase recognized programs on a website designed to provide information to communities that wish to replicate the activities.
- Increase awareness and implementation of successful programs across Virginia.
The program will recognize work in four key areas of opportunity:
- A Commonwealth of Opportunity for Health and Wellness – emphasizing preventive healthcare and healthy living through nutrition and physical activity, the prevention of childhood obesity, and awareness of health prevention strategies.
- A Commonwealth of Opportunity for Economic Development – focusing support for Virginia wine industry products, tourism, and the Virginia Film Office.
- A Commonwealth of Opportunity for Military Families – focusing on getting communities involved in supporting the families of active duty military personnel and on support for women in the military.
- A Commonwealth of Opportunity for Women – emphasizing support for women in business and recognizing women’s achievements across the Commonwealth.